List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0.2 Usability Study - First Steps
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-07-19 3:42:35

On Thursday 18 July 2002 10:57, Sebastien Biot wrote:
> OSes. We all want to make KDE the best desktop environment out there,
> one that truly empowers people, makes them more creative and more
> productive.

> If that means integrating
> inherited behaviors, even theoretically inferior behaviors, then so
> be it.

these two statements are at odds with each other.

you either want to create the best desktop environment out there that does
great things for the user, or you want to copy the inferior but familiar
parts[1]of what's already out there. take your pick.

you can't do both at the same time. you can compromise between the two
somewhere, but every time you pick an inferior way of doing something because
you think new users  will already be familiar with things that way (ignoring
non-new users?) you sacrifice some of the "best desktop environment" goal,
and vice versa. sometimes making right decisions mean people will have to
learn new things.[2]

instead of saying "people have to learn these new things!" which is pretty
obvious and doesn't require any testing what-so-ever to figure out, we should
be asking:

   "how do people deal with learning the KDE way of doing things?"

who knows, maybe despite the fact that they have to rewire a neuronal pathway
or two, they may actually end up with real long-term benefits from that new
behaviour.

[1] note that this has nothing to do with being similar to other systems where
it makes sense, just where the famliiarity endows KDE with inferior
mechanisms.

[2] what i personally find this amazingly hard to understand is that KDE is
very similar to Windows, Mac and other systems in various ways.  virtually
everywhere it tends to deviate, there are those who disagree with that
difference. often quite vocally. if you are truly interested in marketing
aspects (which this topic unfortunately seems to revolve around) you might
want to think about the effects of not differentiating at all.

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

    - Albert Einstein