List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0.2 Usability Study - First Steps
From:       Eric Christopherson <rakko () charter ! net>
Date:       2002-07-19 3:13:55

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 09:56:19PM +0200, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> What I missed in all arguments against double clicking btw is the fact that
> clicking is a strain for your lower arm and one of the causes for RSI/CRI or
> whatever it's called in your part of the world (the name tends to be
> different in other countries, even though both RSI and CRI for example are
> English acronyms).

I'm glad someone mentioned this! I've had the same idea, but I'm no expert
on those conditions, so I wasn't sure if double clicking would really
aggravate them or not.

In the US, it's still common to hear "carpal tunnel" (often just like that,
with no "syndrome" or "disease" or whatnot on the end). I don't think that's
strictly correct, but it's generally understood.

> Double clicking and dragging are really evil for you, and to a lesser extend
> even clicking is. I'm not going as far as focus follows mouse myself, but I
> definitely try to minimize my mouse use and clicking, because I already have
> beginning problems and don't want the situation to worsen.

I was a focus-follows-mouser for a while, myself. It really impressed me how
nice it was, when I got used to it. Unfortunately, I switched back because I
was still having problems with autoraising windows by mistake, and decided
the added bother wasn't worth it, plus there's a known bug that makes modal
dialogs screw up FFM.

--
Eric Christopherson, a.k.a. Contrarian Conlanger Rakko ^_^