List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kcontrol
From:       JESSE B BISNETTE <jbbst26+ () pitt ! edu>
Date:       2002-07-11 1:47:10

> My point is simply that everyone is just talking. As already pointed out, that
> is necessary, _but_ the actual developmnet has to go en-par with it.
> Otherwise, wrinting all your (mostly valid and well-meant) ideas becomes a
> waste of time, and I think we all agree that our contributions should lead to
> something useful.

Actually, constructive talk is good ... it's called brainstorming if
you've never head of it and it is the best way to provide the best end
solution to a problem.  Companies that do more talking and think before
diving into a major project always make the best products.  I honestly
can't think of an exception to this.  You really otta take a manufacturing
engineering course ... you will gain a much different appreciation of the
power of brainstorming.

Anyway, sometimes a non-developer, aka an outsider, can give the best
solutions to usability problems because they have no idea what goes on
underneith.  I for one am not a developer, and thought that posting my
experience and ideas to this list was the best way to give something back
to the community.  All I am saying is that just because someone does not
submit code doesn't mean their ideas are bad.

> If you read carefully, many of the things on the to-do list
> don't need a coder, but they need poeple that dive a bit deeper into KDE
> than just looking at the GUI

Since most usability issues are directly related to UI design, this is a
much more important aspect than you make it out to be.

> (who liked the good times where people attaAched (fake-)screenshots and .ui
> files to their postings)

This is just a smart ass comment.  Real good way to keep people interested
in the project.  Hope this isn't they way you treat every poster.

Peace,
Jesse

PS
Sorry for such an off topic post.