List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Abstract for KDE Usability Paper (Second Draft)
From:       "Jason Bainbridge" <JaseOne () myrealbox ! com>
Date:       2002-07-11 1:29:57

After some invaluable input from Aaron, here is the second draft of the abstract of \
the paper I hope to present at Linux.conf.au 2003.

I think it is pretty polished as it is so hopefully it is pretty close to finalised, \
but as always let me know if you have any suggestions.

Regards,
Jason

With Open Source Software gaining in popularity the overall demographic of its user \
base is shifting and hence the demands on the software is also changing. To ensure \
that the software continues to serve all of its users, including those that have \
recently become users, as effectively as possible requires some serious thought and \
actions towards enhanced usability.

This talk will concentrate on the challenges that arise while working to improve \
usability in KDE, how those challenges are being addressed, and to detail various \
initiatives that have or will be put in place to reach the goal of enhanced \
usability.

The following topics will be covered:

- How usability testing can be coordinated and effectively carried out in an OSS \
project in light of the traditionally decentralized nature of such projects, wherein \
participants are located around the world and working on different schedules and from \
different agendas.

-  The initiatives that we have implemented or plan to implement to improve usability \
                within KDE and its applications including:
   * Developer Checklists
   * Usability Certification for individual applications
   * Usability Studies and Usability Report Tracking & Management.

- The various Quality Assurance efforts that are currently underway to introduce \
certain aspects of QA into KDE development that by and large haven't existed \
previously, and how these same efforts could be applied to other OSS projects.

- Examples of key usability improvements to date in KDE, such as the current work \
being done on the Control Center.