List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kilt - KDE I18n & L10n Tool
From:       Jay Cornwall <jay () evilrealms ! net>
Date:       2002-06-27 20:15:01

On Thursday 27 Jun 2002 06:11, Ian h wrote:

> If the country is changed to one with multiple
> commonly languages a dialog would appear with those
> languages, associated keyboard layouts, and other
> possible settings in a listboxes with the "defaults"
> highlighted. If the user want get more options could
> be expanded in some way.

I can see how this would be useful (indeed, KCMLocale does it), but the
implementation would be a little difficult.

If the user selected a country, I could pop up a requester asking to select
the appropriate language (for multiple-language countries). But if the user
selected a language, I wouldn't be able to show the list of possible
countries (KLocale doesn't have this option), leaving an inconsistent
feature.

I'd also prefer not to have to throw up requesters in Kilt, as the aim is to
be as unobtrusive and easily accessible as possible.

> The "Customize" menu would open the above dialog box
> with all the listboxes filled with all avaliable
> options. To reduce confusion the current settings
> would checked while also being highlighted. These
> settings could be Applied and/or be saved as custom
> locales.

This feature sounds very much like KCMLocale, for which Kilt provides access
via the 'Configure Country...' and 'Configure Language...' menu items. To add
this to Kilt itself would defeat the purpose of having a separate i18n/l10n
switching tool.

Thanks for the suggestions though, much appreciated. :)

Cheers,
Jay