List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kilt - KDE I18n & L10n Tool
From:       Ian h <arcaneone () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-06-27 5:11:40

--- David Hugh-Jones <hughjonesd@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Aaron
>
> I take your point. There certainly are people who
> will want Hindi in the US,
> etc. However,  in most cases, taking a reasonable
> guess will work - for
> example, most, though not all, US users will want a
> standard 105 (?) key
> keyboard and US English.
>
> The problem, as you point out, is that to fine-tune
> settings, users will need
> to go through a submenu. But with the current
> design, they need to go through
> a submenu to do everything. So I don't think this
> makes the situation worse
> for the minority, and it does make it better for the
> majority.
>
> Dave
>
> On Tuesday 25 June 2002 5:35 pm, Aaron J. Seigo
> wrote:
> > On June 25, 2002 10:27 am, David Hugh-Jones wrote:
> > > As a more high level point, do we actually want
> the user to be confronted
> > > initially with separate "country", "keyboard"
> and "language" settings?
> > >
> > > It might be better to just have a "select
> country" option, which would
> > > automatically use a default language and
> keyboard layout, and then to
> > > have specific options in an "advanced" dialog
> (or submenu).
> >
> > what language would China be?
> > or USA?
> > or Canada?
> > or ...
> >
> > languages and keyboard layouts don't split nicely
> along national borders.
> > since that is a common thing, hiding it away will
> only make it harder for a
> > significant portion of people?
>
> - --
> David Hugh-Jones

Here's another suggestion along the same lines; There
can be a "Country" sub-menu and a "Customize"
sub-menu.

If the country is changed to one with multiple
commonly languages a dialog would appear with those
languages, associated keyboard layouts, and other
possible settings in a listboxes with the "defaults"
highlighted. If the user want get more options could
be expanded in some way.

The "Customize" menu would open the above dialog box
with all the listboxes filled with all avaliable
options. To reduce confusion the current settings
would checked while also being highlighted. These
settings could be Applied and/or be saved as custom
locales.

I feel this would reduce confusion because the ability
to customize is for the most part hidden but also
acciable for those who need it.