List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Improving the Application-Starting Process
From:       Christoph Held <c-held () web ! de>
Date:       2002-06-09 21:21:20

Hi Irwin,

> Here are a couple of PNG links to the images.  It's a sort of "Application
> Sorting" on the Panel.  It's similar to a KMenu but instead it contains
> only the apps that relate to a particular task, like "Office" or
> "Multimedia".

Is there are difference to KMenu->Configure Panel->add button-> ...-> add this
menu?

Or are you suggesting to make a CDE-like look as default? (break the large
kmenu in many smaller menus?)

>with a suggestion to implement it
Why not put apps in a folder and drag it on the panel? Is there any code
needed to implement?

Personally I would like a CDE like desktop, but I probably not everyone would
appreciate. Make it an option in the desktop settings wizzard (the wizzard
wich appears, when you log in first time.)

In the second dialog it questions your prefered desktop style:

[X] KDE (TM)
[ ] Unix (R)
[ ] Windows (R)
[ ] Apple (R)

Make the selection set the panel layout:
Unix would be like CDE: the panel centered, large with many smaller menus.
Windows: the panel small with kmenu at the left
kde, apple:...

I would participate in this efford if you like.

Greetings

Christoph Held