List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: TOM as a kmenuext
From:       Eric Ellsworth <eeric () speakeasy ! net>
Date:       2002-06-09 22:06:21

> new version is up at the same URL:
>   http://urbanlizard.com/~aseigo/tom.tar.gz
This looks great!
A couple ideas:
	I like where you're going with "Destinations", but that word sounds more
related to places in the filesystem, on the web, documents, etc.  I'm not
sure how Finding Files and the Control Center fit into that idea.  Of course
the title doesn't have to exactly reflect what's in the section, but IMHO
"Destination" doesn't really cover what these do. I suggest "Manage Your
Computer" - this is definitely elegant than one word, like "Destinations".
Any other ideas?

Special seems a little vague, too -again IMO.

I put some of this stuff in a new tom.cc, which is at:
http://eeric.dnsalias.net/kde_usability/new_KMenu/tom.cc
- those who don't have Aaron's package will need it:
http://urbanlizard.com/~aseigo/tom.tar.gz

Here's a screenshot:
http://eeric.dnsalias.net/kde_usability/new_KMenu/tom_by_eric.png

I realize this doesn't leave a place for the Special Menu Items, but how about
the following for those:
Printing and Preferences, if turned on (I'd suggest off by defaullt) appear
under "Manage Your Computer"
Bookmarks appear under Recently Used Items.
We could even put $username's Personal Files up there...

Another possbility: Bookmarks and Recent Documents seem like very related
ideas to me - what if turning on Bookmarks made Recent Documents into a
section on the Bookmarks menu (e.g., using insertTOMTitle)?  Or even turn on
Bookmarks by default, and and call that new menu "Document Locations"

Cheers,

Eric