List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Re: Improved KMenu
From:       Christoph Held <c-held () web ! de>
Date:       2002-06-08 8:40:59

> Perhaps it is due to the fact that that a lot of people using computers
> until recently began late. And when I say late, I don't mean 100 :-). I've
> seen people of 40 acting with their computer as if it was a mysterious
> machine. Perhaps due to the science fiction book of the 70's showing the
> computer as a full power thing. A lot of young now have touched their first
> computer the same time they learned to read and write. And their number
> will be increasing. I think they will be far less afraid with computers
> than the older generation.

It was 3 to 4 years ago in an accounting office with win95 and win98. Mostly
'worst-case users' writing letters. (50 years old female not owning a pc). Of
course these are not kde users. There is nothing wrong adding advanced
features like the right mouse button. There is only a problem if the knowlege
of such advanced features is espected by the UI design. And I hope you are
not suggesting to wait unit all 40-60 year old secretaries have retired from
work...

I just have made a quick usability testing with my mother (62 years old
secretary) To tell you the truth, the ui design is bad and even worse is
kmenu which is bad, bad, bad. If I were asked and still admin I would
recommend not to make a kde rollout.

Don't get me wrong, I like kde very much.

Greetings

Christoph