List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE's menu implementation.
From:       Kristian Koehntopp <kk () netuse ! de>
Date:       2002-05-30 14:38:43

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 04:01:09PM +0000, Troels Tolstrup wrote:
> Mozilla behaves in the same way as kde currently does.
> Gnome 1.4 does not give any visual feedback when the mouse enters a
> disabled menu, nor does it let you select disabled entries with the
> keyboard.

Tested MSIE 6 in Windows XP Pro:

Datei (File) ->
                Neu (New) enabled
                Öffnen (Open) enabled
                Bearbeiten (Edit) disabled
                .
                .
                .

Using the mouse to click on Datei, and scrolling down, I get a
dark grey highlight bar, and enabled and disabled items just
look the same, when the bar is over them.

Using the keyboard, the behaviour is identical. Keyboard
shortcuts of disabled menu items are recognized and perform as
if the item had been selected, only that nothing happens (i.e.
menu closes, highlight from menu bar vanishes and the focus is
in the document area again).

Using notepad, the first items in menu "Edit" are disabled if
there is no selection and nothing to undo. Using the keyboard,
the highlight is at the first menu item in edit, "undo" and can
be moved with the cursor and using shortcuts.

Kristian

--
Kristian Köhntopp, NetUSE AG, Dr.-Hell-Straße, D-24107 Kiel
Tel: +49 431 386 435 00, Fax: +49 431 386 435 99