List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMail and contacts - RMB behavior
From:       "Michael W. Collette" <metrol () metrol ! net>
Date:       2002-05-30 14:45:39

On Thursday 30 May 2002 03:38 am, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Well, then just tell the KPilot conduit developers to figure out a clever
> way to resolve the compatibility issue with a new clever addressbook,
> instead of providing a dump application which can be guarantee to work
> without any serious thinking on the developer's side. BTW, I should
> mention, I'm the one who is currently rewriting the addressbook conduit for
> Kpilot (to , and the only obstacle I can currently see is palm's limitation
> to 5 phone and email entries per addressee.

Although I have referred to the Palm several times, I was actually thinking in
a broader scope.  Getting data out of kaddressbook and into anything else
gets more complex as the number of fields grow.  The impact is greater than
simply the KPilot conduits.

> If the Kaddressbook (or rather the KABC::Addressee object) has
> more/additional information, it just won't get synced to the palm, but is
> it not lost. Only the information that the palm can handle is synced, all
> other fields in the Kaddressbook are left untouched. So if Kaddressbook
> uses some additional clever features, that's fine with the pilot, you just
> can't use the features with the pilot, but have to use kaddressbook.

This gets into a somewhat related issue of whether or not kaddressbook
actually needs all this stuff.  The number of fields in there is huge!  This
is one of those places where I'm sure Kristian would have something to say on
this matter, and I'd be agreeing with him.

Sales people, doctors, lawyers, and all other manner of professionals out
there with extensive contact lists rely on that simplistic little Palm every
day.  The jury is back, the verdict is given, simpler is the clear winner.

> You could use the same argument with KOrganizer and the palm calendar. The
> palm calendar uses only very few information entries about the date, while
> KOrganizer adds such nifty features like participants. The palm conduit
> just ignores those fields it doesn't know anything about. No problem at
> all.

KOrganizer has a slightly different focus though.  It's evident that when it
grows up it will have more groupware functionality, as an eventual
replacement for Outlook.  This is worth a thread of it's own at some later
time I'm sure.

As a quick side note, I attempted to use KPilot once a while back.  It decided
to mangle data on my Palm, wiping out everything sitting in my calendar.
Information did come out of my addressbook, flooding kaddressbook, but
completely unable to properly note E-Mail addresses, and some other field
mis-matches.  Maybe just a settings issue, but I couldn't figure it out at
the time.

My previous posts should indicate that I would love to see this work properly.
I am more than a little concerned with mucking around with what I consider to
be a production Palm and my production laptop.  For now, no matter how cool
the features may be in the KDE apps, JPilot is my PIM software at the
desktop.  Simple and functional beat the snot outta cleverness every time.

Later on,
--
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark
to read."