List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Usabilty Advice Website & User Interaction
From:       "Eric Ellsworth" <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-05-26 23:30:28

On Sunday 26 May 2002 19:02, Irwin wrote:
> On May 26, 2002 04:19 am, Marten Klencke wrote:
> As I said this is certainly not a permanent solution.  Something like a
> messageboard forum/issue tracker (Bugzilla seems to come up a lot doesn't
> it?) would help "casual users" track problems.  Is this anything at all
> like the "Usability Bug" idea we had going a while back?

Actually, this is not really what I meant. I probably wrote it down poorly,
but what I meant was to give the developers a simple and quick way to get
advice on how to design things they are working on. Not to analyze software
that is already out there.

I like all the ideas about the forum I've heard so far.  Here's a suggestion
I'd like to add:

We'd step on less toes if we made sure the tone of the comments was not
overly critical before we posted them as whatever we present to outside
viewers (especially KDE developers).  People can get their guns blazing when
they go looking at what's "wrong" with an app, and I'd hate to see "Dialog X
sucks" be the final word of the KDE Usability project on an app.

One way to handle this would be to post summaries of conversations, or notes
or whatever, but another might be to have the forum behave like a Wiki in
some ways, where you could highlight parts of a conversation and have others
be a little more hidden (with the whole conversation still available to
whoever wants to see it, of course)...

 Just one way of doing it, but I do think we ought to give some
consideration to what information we want to highlight.

Cheers,

EE