List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Configure Desktop Background
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2002-05-23 16:32:26

On Thursday 23 May 2002 00:30, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On May 22, 2002 03:19 pm, Ryan Cumming wrote:
> > The cache sizing should be done automatically. A simple heuristic could
> > do a much better job than a user naively guessing at what a good value
> > is. I don't think we should be exposing implementation details.
> hrm.. even for a multi-user box running some random OS that KDE runs on?

Probably...

Either way, that setting must be removed from the GUI. Why?

* 99% of users don't know what it means anyway. (I'm not even sure myself).
* 99.9% of users don't care even if they did know what it means.

How important is it anyway? No one changes it of the default anyway, and I
don't see anyone's machine explode into flame. Right now it's locked on the
default (because no one changes it) and everything works fine, that's also
without any heuristic...

Move it into a config file somewhere for admins that may one day have to care
about it.

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/