List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: A bit more constructive this time
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-05-11 21:37:31

On May 11, 2002 12:42 pm, Ian h wrote:
> I don't know what kconfig can do because I can't find
> it. I may not have installed all the rpms for KDE3. If
> what you mean is the class, that wouldn't be any
> direct help to users/admins.

yes, it is the class. and yes, it is very useful. how? because it allows the
admin to set immutable settings in the system-wide app configs as well as
define which directories to look for configs in via KDEDIRS ..

a KDE application that would allow an admin to interact with those facilities
would indeed be cool, and that's what you're talking about i suppose =)

note that in kdenonbeta there is a generic config editor that was recently
added. that might be a good starting point to which to add features such as
being able to edit the system-wide settings, setting items as immutable,
yadda yadda.

> side note: I'm going try working from the CVS so I'm
> on the same page as most of you are.

excellent =)

> imuttable settings. Either way, they may have to hand
> edit/overwrite everyone's <application here>rc file.

no.. you will want to read up on how kconfig works. it is quite powerful and
designed with multi-user system admin and general flexibility in mind.

--
Aaron J. Seigo