List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: A bit more constructive this time
From:       Ian h <arcaneone () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-05-11 18:42:03

--- Eric E <whalesuit@softhome.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 09 May 2002 10:29 pm, Aaron J. Seigo
> wrote:
> > On May 9, 2002 10:15 pm, Ian h wrote:
> > > What I would like to do is create a
> > > profile/setting vault. Considering their is no
> easy
> > > way to move/copy/backup your
> prefences/bookmarks/misc
> > > settings.  The app  would gather all the
> > > configurations from each rc file of  core and
> some the
> > > popular (or anything app as long as I know where
> it
> > > stores it config file). Then create a master
> file(s)
> > > that can be feed back into a new or network
> > > installation of KDE. I think this would make KDE
> more
> > > of solution for business because it would be
> easier to
> > > maintain company setting and still allow
> employees
> > > some flexiablity with a lot less direct
> interventions.
> >
> > as ryan pointed out, archiving $KDEHOME is a
> fairly comprehensive way of
> > backing up your kde settings/data..
>
> That's true, but I still think it would be useful
> for a couple reasons:
>
> e.g. KMail stores stuff in ~/Mail
>
> Tarballing all of $KDEHOME picks up all kinds of
> cached stuff, and bogus
> settings.  Perhaps the only source of instability
> I've had in KDE seems to be
> related to pickuping up stuff in cache and
> settings...  so an app that parsed
> these could help you pick out stuff that you don't
> want anymore.
>
> Also an app that was attempting to look through all
> a user's settings could be
> a nice complement to crash reports...

Inaddition, things such as a set of bookmarks can be
easily  inserted company wide.

> > KConfig itself also allows system settings and
> local settings, including the
> > ability to set certain system-wide settings as
> immutable. this allows the
> > admin to do things like lock kicker's
> configuration down.
>
> I'll have to play with this...

I don't know what kconfig can do because I can't find
it. I may not have installed all the rpms for KDE3. If
what you mean is the class, that wouldn't be any
direct help to users/admins.

side note: I'm going try working from the CVS so I'm
on the same page as most of you are.

> > there is also /etc/skel that can be used for such
> things...
> Any easily readable references on how skel works?

I looked up /etc/skel. Its designed to be a one shot.
Used whenever a new user and their directories are
created. So an admin could only setup a immutable
setting once. I also not familiar with how KDE knows
what settings are imuttable and which are not. Is
there a seperate rc file for each app that have
imuttable settings. Either way, they may have to hand
edit/overwrite everyone's <application here>rc file.
I've work in tech support long enough to know how
annoyed coworkers get when they find even one setting
has been changed even with a memo.