List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Program launch ideas
From:       Eric E <whalesuit () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-04-11 16:08:41

On Thursday 11 April 2002 2:03 am, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> > 	Similar problem with the KOrganizer applet in the system tray.   I
> > double click one, and if it's slow to respond, I may double click again.
> > This load two instances of KOrganizer.  How often do folks two
> > KOrganizers at once?  Am I just naive?  I'd say almost all System &
> > Utility apps should usually only one instance.

I revisited the Korganizer tray issue.  The problem is the system tray icon
launches on single-click, whether or not you've set KDE to launch on
double-click or not.  I'd add that to our Kicker usability issues list.

As an aside, in my limited efforts to email and import appointments with
KOrganizer, multiple instances made for a HUGE headache.

> I completely understand your problem due to the fact that I have had
> similar experiences. However I was able to inform the people that the
> "Launch Feedback" in Kicker (or is it KPanel) informs one that a program is
> starting up. Also with "Buzy Cursor" one is informed almost spontaneously
> that the program is starting up.
Good idea to tell your users what to look for - that's the expedient solution.
:)

In the longer term:
	a) to me it seems more confusing to let the app launch a bunch of times, then
make the user figure out what to do, unless that's the apps is intended to be
run in multiple instances (like konqui, Kwrite, etc)
	b) launching multiple instances of an app consumes resources, and is annoying
Anyone got counterarguments?
My solution:
Put a tab into the Launch Feedback kcontrol module with a list of programs
which can be launched more than once, and perhaps some info about feedback.
I'd structure this similar to cookie handling in Konqueror.

> Also, isn't it possible that f.i. KOrganizer crashes but doesn't die (I
> mean become a zombie-process)? The user won't be able to see KOrganizer
> anymore and will think it has been shut down.

Good point - this needs addressing anyway: apps that leave bad data or bogus
config values can break a lot of things, at least on my machine.  As an
example, after I've killed Konqi once (a la ctrl-alt-esc), I get no end of
problems launching URLs in a new window.  Deleting .kde and starting over
always fixes the problem.  It's tremendously annoying.

Cheers,

EE