List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Program launch ideas
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2002-04-12 18:41:22

Hi all,

> > > 	Similar problem with the KOrganizer applet in the system tray.   I

> I revisited the Korganizer tray issue.  The problem is the system tray icon
> launches on single-click, whether or not you've set KDE to launch on
> double-click or not.  I'd add that to our Kicker usability issues list.

IMHO, the real problem is that each icon in the system tray does what it damn
well likes when you click on it. :-) I've got three icons in my tray right
now and none of them show any consistency when it comes to mouse clicks.
Here's a quick summary so far:

Klipper:
LMB               - open menu above the panel.
LMB (second time) - open menu, or just make it flicker. :)
RMB               - open menu above the panel
RMB (second time) - open menu, or flicker.
Double click      - menu (again) above the panel.

Keyboard thingy:
LMB               - nothing
LMB (second time) - nothing
RMB               - open menu _over_ the button
RMB (second time) - open menu, or flicker.
Double click      - nothing

Korganiser (alarm?) icon
LMB               - Run KOrganiser!
LMB (second time) - Run KOrganiser!
RMB               - open menu _over_ the button
RMB (second time) - open menu, or flicker.
Double click      - Run KOrganiser twice!

For extra fun, try clicking on the other applets in the panel and see what
happens...

Now this is obvious an annoying situation. Especially with the korganiser
alarm icon thingy.

Here is a suggestion for how I think things should work.

LMB            - Open any main window (i.e. the GUI for kppp etc) or nothing.
LMB (2nd time) - Close the main window.
RMB            - Open a menu above the panel.
RMB (2nd time) - Close the menu.
Double click   - Launch any main program that the icon may be a proxy for.

The good news is that the KMenu button in the left corner already does most of
this right now. So what I've suggested isn't exactly radical. :-) it just
needs to be added to any KDE Styleguide and implemented. My suggestion above
avoids any nasty surprises (like multiple instances of an app) jumping out.

> [App launching multiple times]
> My solution:
> Put a tab into the Launch Feedback kcontrol module with a list of programs
> which can be launched more than once, and perhaps some info about feedback.
> I'd structure this similar to cookie handling in Konqueror.

I think that would be the wrong place. An app like Korganiser, doesn't need to
have more than once instance running at once. It should just only run one by
default and perhaps have an advanced option somewhere (in the app) where
multiple instances can be enabled. (Oddly enough, Kate already has such an
option. "Restrict to single process").

The funny thing is that I wasn't planning to write this mail. I only changed
my mind after accidentially lauching Korganiser twice. (I was trying to get
rid of the icon in my systray. :-) ).

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/