List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: optionitis
From:       "Thomas Schilling" <snuffeler () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-02-19 15:44:35

> > Here's an idea, why don't we ask the user in their first login how
familiar
> > they are with KDE?  This would set an option that an application could
> > check, and the more advanced the user is, the more options that would be
> > available to him/her.  We would need to make sure that option is pretty
> > visible though. This way we could satisfy both power users and novices.
>
> user levels don't work because someone may be well versed in one thing,
but
> completely lost in another rendering a single "how much do you know?"
> question meaningless. it also makes it more difficult (nearly impossible)
for
> novices to learn the more useful/powerful/advanced features since they are
> rendered invisible.

I agree with that. Users can't estimate this themselves. I wouldn't even
say that anyone can do this. Some users may be very common to some
issues while having no idea of something other. (e.g. I could not configure
a firewall other many other network-related things.)

> this may include rewording descriptions, reorganzing option groupings,
> redefining how the user sets or interacts with a given option, moving some
> options to "advanced" tabs, etc..

I would prefer "Advanced..." _buttons_ . This way you have the tabs for
rough structuring.