List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: App of the week: KIconEditor
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-02-19 9:13:32

hi..

in case anyone was trying to figure out why they didn't have "kiconeditor" it
is actually called "kiconedit" =)

On February 19, 2002 09:17 am, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> I noticed that the icon editor had the same version number as kde.  is this
> right?

however the authors decide =)

> What's THis button seems to be a toolbar button and not KPushButton

which is correct since it is in a toolbar, no?

> Options/Configure  (change to Configure KIconEditor, same with caption)

Options should be called "Settings" .. here are my comments on the configure
dialog:

 - move to using the icon listing style as opposed to tabs
 - change caption to include app name

 - keys tab
   - remove and use standard Configure Key Bindings dialog in Settings menu

 - icon templates tab
   - the layout in the edit button seems to be broken, as is the browsing
   - the browse button should be removed and a KURLRequester(Dlg?)

 -background tab
   - "Built-in" leaves me baffled and acts like a checkbox, even though its a
radio button
   - "Color" button should be a kcolorbutton
   - "Pixmap" button should probably also be a KURLRequester

 - toolbars tab
   - settings are available by right clicking the toolbars, this non-standard
tab should be removed

 - icon grid tab
   - should perhaps be called "Paste Mode" since that is all there ; or
perhaps "General" and moved to the front.

> Why is there a "Save Options" under Options?

to save the various settings under options. should be removed as no other
main kde app seems to do this... settings should be saved when changed ...

> Shouldn't Show toolbar, Show Shatusbar etc go under "View"

no, they belong in settings.

other comments:

 - tools menu items are in a different order than the tools toolbar
 - icon menu perhaps should be merged into the edit menu
 - when opening a second window, Ctrl-W in that window doesn't work
 - with more than one window, Ctrl-W doesn't just close that window but quits
the whole app. should either be changed to Ctrl-Q or made to act as a window
close ala kmail
 - when quiting, it only asks if you want to save changes in one open window.
it should ask for each open window that has unsaved changes
 - doesn't use standard actions
 - doesn't use kactions for the items that appear in both menus and toolbars
 - when a new window is first opened, no color is selected by default, which
you need to do to start drawing. a color should be selected right away.

--
Aaron Seigo