List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kcontrol: mouse setup confusion
From:       Alexei Podtelezhnikov <apodtele () mccammon ! ucsd ! edu>
Date:       2002-02-18 23:32:03

Aaron Seigo wrote:

> bottom line is that double clicking behaviour sucks in so many ways, but
> people are very much used to it from macOS and Windows that it won't be going
> away any time soon.

> > What I want to see is three (not two) large sections on the page:
> > 1. Left- or Right-handedness
> > 2. Icons selection and activation
> >    a) Autoselect with single-click activation
> >       - Autoselect delay

> what about single click with no autoselect? allowing the slider to have a "no
> autoselect" setting at one extreme would be rather confusing, since that's
> not what sliders do.

> >    b) Single-click select with double-click activation
> > 3. Pointer behaviour
> >    [] Large?
> >    [] Launching feedback?

> this is different than 'launch feedback', which is what happens to the
> cursor/taskbar icons when a program is launched.

>    [] Change shape over icons.

> this can only be done (accurately) with single click enabled.

I think I know what you mean. You want the pointer to change only if the click
will cause "launching" OR "openning", while "selection" is being descriminated
against and ignored by the pointer.

In my view ALL three actions deserve to draw pointers attention. The plain
arrow should indicate "nothing is here" over empty fields and blurred out
options in menus too. Change of pointer should indicate "Try me here!" - very
much like the pointer behaves inside Konqi changing shape on "anything
clickable".

This is debatable, of course. I just want to be invited "double-click me here"
by the pointer, not only "single-click me here". There are so many people who
like double-click, and will never see fancy pointers under current policy.

Thanks,
A.