List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: Sun's Desktop Division making headway
From:       Jonathan Singer <jsinger () genome ! wi ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2001-09-04 1:43:58

> Rumor/discussion *only*:

Kind of  flame-y and off-topic, but since you asked for discussion..  ;-)

> We got an anonymous submission traced to someone from inside Sun that
> the GNOME work was put on hold and that the developers were being
> redeployed to other projects.  Anyone know anything about that?

Well, there was an anonymous Dot poster claiming he'd heard from
someone that there was some movement at Sun to move to KDE. Now, if
that's not a reliable source, I don't know what is!
<http://dot.kde.org/999120705/999186010/999193404/999202288/999220436/>

> Also I wonder what Sun plans to do if/when GNOME supports .NET. :-)

Actually, since Ximian first announced the Mono project, I've been
wondering if there had already been some kind of fallout between
GNOME and Sun, given how enthusiastically Miguel seemed to be burning
his bridges with Sun.

Then there was his ranting on Slashdot a while back about how it's
impossible to work with RMS and how he regrets ever have having
gotten involved with the FSF. (That one's for real, unless someone
hax0red his account.) Maybe KDE has a shot at being the next official
GNU desktop. (GNUStep, WindowMaker, GNOME,...)
<http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=20298&cid=2156021>