List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Things
From:       Darian Lanx <content () openprojects ! net>
Date:       2001-06-23 10:43:10

Hello

First of all, welcome back Herve, I hope, that you will be helping us out
again, I would ver ymuch appreciate that.

I just would like to add a few things without prolonging the discussion any
futher. We asked for comments, we asked for pointers on how to improve a
given thing, namely the cover page that existed as a draft. We also asked for
alternatives , should the shown draft not be found pleasing at all.

Instead we have gotten 95% whines, I have been compared to Larry Flint (not
that I mind that) and nothing as an alterbative has really been offered by
those who are involved.

If you wish more influence onto the zine, then join the zine mailing list,
drop all your thoughts so they may be considered and do not flare your temper
when somone offers you to value their work and give pointers on how to make
it better or how to go about it in a different way.

The only people who have offered a true alternative are those, who reacted
like Shawn, which I honor a lot. The main problem is, that we do not have the
time, nor the ressources to do 20 drafts and then pick one that people might
find appealing.

Dirk has done some amazing work for the XML/XSD, I have tried to organize
people to help us, which is happening with the namazu front end for example
and I also tried to organize a "cover" and aga offered to help me and
therefore kinda "ended" my search.

There is not much I can expect from any of those who sit on the list, read it
and now and then scream out loud, when something is offered or even semi
decdied that goes completely against their wishes. I am not talking about
peopel like Herve who are involved with real life, a baby and a wife that
both need him.

It seems to me, that no one would like to see anyone in "charge", that no one
should make any "decisions" and if this was aperfect, free project,a ll
should be decided in a vote.

If Dirk and I ha dnot decided on using namazu, then John would not beworking
on a front end  now.
If Dirk and I would have not decided on using XML and XML-Schema from the
Hard disk, then there would be no xml module now.
If Chris would have not decided to sponsor ressources, there would be no CVS
reporsitory.
Somone _has_ to make a decision sooner or later and for the zine that was me,
after carefully talking some man issues over with Dirk and posting them also
to the list (except for the namazu issue).

I am well willing to accept the "blame", repsonsibillity and "flames" for the
decisions I make, but I am not willing to accept, that others tell me I am
not allowed to "urge" and "push" certain developments and decisions.

Why did I push the zine cover? Because I think, that we can put the KDE
Magazine on a dual access track.
First of all we try to attract users through exceptional content which is NOT
purely technicalm but also revolves around KDE and where KDE was born from,
namely open source.
The KDE zine covers would serve a completely different access, they are
simply there t present stunning artwork, which is connected to KDE through a
symbolsim or through something that is within the picture (such as the Tatoo
around her belly button).
That doe snot serve the purpose of directly promoting KDE but it serves the
purpose of keeping KDE ina user's mind. Because no matter what she/he does,
if he puts that cove rpic on his wall or as his background or shows it to a
friend the K for KDE in it will not go away (no to mention, that each cover
gets extra text anyways).

When I talked to aga about this, we were both sure, that it would be a rather
charming addition to what we had allready planned for the zine.
We are devoted to working for KDE and with KDE , but we ar enot advertisement
brochure for KDE, I doubt, that was Herve's initial intention, but he will
surely correct me if it was.

Building a reader community for the KDE Magazine should always be ourt first
goal, it should also be our goal to accept and attract as many different kind
o readers as we can.

Thanks to ade I have a highly technical, almost scientifc article which I can
print from those who know C++, KDE and othe rissues very well. We will
hopefulyl also be allowed to print easier tutorials, such as a Designer
Tutorial from danimo and for those who are not familar with KDE there might
be a general article with ideas about open source and how it concerns KDE.

Whatever we do and whatever we keep doing, there _is_ a strong focus on KDE.
I do not quite see what difference it makes if we forked this project or not.
Because we will be devoted to KDE none the less.

It was never a termnial decision by me, yet Aga has last say about her
artwork and she decided _not_ to allow this motive to be tagged as a release
for the issue Numbe rone, which I personally find to be apitty. I have no
cover now. I do nto knwo who would be willing to design one either, because
those other people I asked are busy and I think the main KDE artists are as
well. (we have not received any offer for icons for example) ..which I can
understand, people are caught up in different projects.

Additional to all this hassel, many things did sting me personally, even if
that is not professional, yet, this is not my work, I believe in KDE and I
also invest part of my joy, pain , sweat and laughter into such projects.
Until now I have not seen much enthusiasm from anyone other than annma or
Herve or me, all that we have received is sceptisim and comments about
futility and "vapour ware".
That doe snot exactly spurr one on, you know?

I did think about simpyl tossing this into a coner and storming out, but the
KDE magazine deserves better and I will try to pass as much as I can on to
Herve, I was never there to replace him anyways.

- -d

- --
si vis pacem, para bellum

'Doubt thou the stars are fire; Doubt that the sun doth move;
 Doubt truth to be a liar; But never doubt I love.
- - Hamlet, Shakespeare