List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Speaking of the KDE league...
From:       "Anne-Marie" <a-m.mahfouf () lineone ! net>
Date:       2001-06-13 18:13:50

Hi all!

About the educational aspect and the promotion of Linux/KDE in schools:
several projects exist for the server aspect of Linux but as far as I know,
very very few schools use linux on the desktop. As I have 4 kids, I think I
know quite well the educational software for Windows and I can tell you that
there is nearly nothing useful for Linux: no encyclopedia, no software to
learn foreign languages, very few eduware for very young children... (mea
culpa, my small applications are still not ported to KDE2 and thus are
outdated)
I wanted to promote KDE educational software via the zine by writing a
column so that developers and other people will get more interested. As the
zine is still in creation, this idea is not possible yet.
A kde mailing-list was launched concerning kde-eduware but it was very
quiet, people are not motivated yet (or if they are as I am, they are not
developers).

The idea of a poll at the Dot would be very good. But it has to be linked to
some other actions. A sort of kde-"template" for eduware for example would
be nice.
I am willing to see something change at schools about proprietary software
and wasted money. But for that to happen, we (kde) have really to promote
this area.
And to have a big kde-eduware package would be the goal!

Anne-Marie
alias annma
a-m.mahfouf@lineone.net