List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Speaking of the KDE league...
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2001-06-13 18:58:33

Eva Brucherseifer wrote:

> > > And where would one find a list of such software?
> >

> I am not sure, if your comment was ment seriously, since you probably know
> that there is a good collection at apps.kde.com ;-) (BTW - apps.kde.com is
> great. Congrats!)

Thanks!  But looking at the education category
(http://apps.kde.com/uk/0/browse/Educational) I don't find too much.
There are some vocabulary trainers and some typing tutors, a Euklidean
geometry app, a program to display National Geographic CDs, and a
testing program.  In addition there is a school "administration" program
(kmuser at http://apps.kde.com/uk/0/info/id/368).  Then of course there
are the "generic" programs like Konqueror, KOffice (not quite there yet)
and KMail (maybe Aethera/Infusion/Magellan -- would be nice if they
could be used for students to organize class schedules and so).

What applications are really missing?  I mean if you asked a school
administrator "What programs do you need before you can switch to using
KDE", what would be the answer?

If someone could get in touch with real school principals/IT managers,
then we could maybe come up with a useful list.  (Plus I agree 100% that
having KDE in schools would be huge, b/c people mostly continue to use
what they have learned in school).

> There is linuxforkids.org with a lot of software, but I recently heard, that
> some of the listed apps don't work, which is acceptable to developers, but
> not to schools. annma tested some of them, you can read the reports at
> http://women.kde.org/projects/reviews/edutainment.html
>
> > In toys shops, supermarkets, warehouses (this is more education software).
> > You'll find this education software just everywhere (I don't know where to
> > find specific software for schools, as my kids are not that old yet.
> > However, at www.lwn.net a eduction report (KC) is reported everyweek).
>
> this weeks report:
> http://www.seul.org/edu/report46.html
>
> On a linux congress I recently met 2 people involved in school projects. One
> was a professor from France: Bernard Lang (European Union Initiatives for
> Evolution and Consolidation of the Use of Free Software) and the other one
> was José Neif (Pepe) from the mexican school project.
> Bernard told me, that they have big problems with linux in France, because
> the companies making the school software refuse to make versions for linux
> too. So if we can provide apropiate kde apps, that would probably help a lot.
> If it is needed, I can establish a contact to these people.

That would be great.  They would likely be able to answer the questions
I raised above quite well, as they probably have spent time
investigating exactly that question!  Could you maybe contact them and
try to find out what is missing, perhaps in some order of priority?  I
think contacting educational professionals will be more useful in
answering these questions than a dot poll -- the people you need to
convince is the school administrators, not dot readers ;-).

[ ... ]

Ciao,

Dre