List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] The Dot
From:       Navindra Umanee <navindra () cs ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2001-05-29 19:47:49

Rob Kaper <cap@capsi.com> wrote:
> As most fo you probably already noticed, The Dot is down again. A lot of KDE
> related keywords show up in Google with a link to dot.kde.org and a lot of
> people probably try to visit on a regular base because it's the premiere KDE
> news site. So, it's _bad_ promo to have it down so frequently.

It is.  Andreas would normally deal with it but he's away on vacation. :(

> Perhaps we should consider hosting it elsewhere? (of course Navindra has a
> big say in this, but I cannot imagine he is pleased with all the down-time
> either)

Noone is, but it's also a decision that would have to be collectively
made by the editors, and we would have to have a good offer to
consider.  (We *have* had a few offers from individuals in the past.)

> The Trolls are probably not a good idea to make sure noone flames us with
> "see, KDE is controlled by QT, they even run the promo site". (yes, I know,
> that is ridiculous, but you all know such trolls will appear)

Not at all, I think the Trolls would be a perfect option if they
accepted/offered to host us.  You do know they host www.kde.org,
right?  These are really the only kind of Trolls we like at the dot,
though.  ;)

> Max (master.kde.org) is probably overloaded as well already..
>
> My ADSL line would probably not be sufficient either.. ;-)

Well no, if we move, we would have to move to someone who's a KDE
friend, is willing to accomodate our needs, and who also has a
reliable network.

> Any ideas or offers anyone? I don't know what kind of setup is required to
> run it, but it shouldn't be too exotic, I guess. Where are all those
> companies in the KDE League when you need them? ;-)

Nobody has asked them.  For all we know, IBM would host us if we
asked.  I think Trolltech, SuSE, Caldera, Mandrake, IBM are all
potential options to investigate.  We could even make a PR of the
whole thing.

Cheers,
Navin.