List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Welcome to kde promoting.
From:       Philippe Fremy <fremy () yalbi ! com>
Date:       2001-02-07 7:54:01

Hi,

I was the one who requested the creation of this list, which Andreas Pour
has created (and also been requesting for a long time).

So what is kde-promoting for ? I have no definition but something like "for
promoting the use and development of kde all around the world" could
perhaps be one good definition.

I have always felt Kde needs more promoting but only recently realised how
it was critical after Andreas launched a thread on kde-core.

Gnomes makes a lot of fuss about its vapourware or unstable technology and
everyone thinks it is great stuff while kde has established stable
technologies noone knows about. Gnome has a good marketing skills and kde
lacks some.

I want to change this in many ways. What I want to see is:
- more kde-technology aware people
- more basic users
- more enhanced users (user able to propose a patch and submit a good bug
  report)
- more applications developers
- more applications
- more core developers.

Kde can only benefit from this.

To achieve that we need to advertise on:
- the great applications inside kde
	--> more users
- the great technologies used in kde
	--> more enhanced users, more kde-technologies aware poeple
- the great technologies available for development in kde how easy we can
  use them
	--> more developers
- the fact that the whole architecture is very componentized, so one can
  easily be a core-developer and work on a module that is smaller than an
  application.
	--> more core developers

To achieve all these goals, here are a few ideas that need to be developed:
- more software reviews. Kmail, k3studio, aethera, knewsticker, pixie,
Krayon,
  Kdevelop, Kdbg, kamera, magellan, ...
  The goal is to attract attention on existing software and potential.

- more published tutorials. We have already very good tutorials on
  developer.kde.org but what is needed is to publish them
  in online and written newspaper

- more advertising on kde technologies. Presentations and articles are the
way
  to go.

- more advertising on how easy it is to develop with kde technologies.
 OSDEM taught David Faure and me that it is really a pain to develop
  a bonobo component or the equivalent of a ioslave in Gnome. This is not
the
  case in kde

- more advertising for developer.kde.org and our excellent documentation
 and books.

- more breaking software. Things like kamera or embedding gecko are great
  to promote the desktop.

Something I wasn't aware of before OSDEM is the great impact for
native language articles in written linux news paper. David still gets
feedback one year after his articles on kde 1.2 have been published and
almost all translators being interviewed said they came to kde by a linux
article in a news paper.

So helping for written native langague articles is an very important goal.

Obviously, I can not do that all by myself. But I want to set-up a
framework to help a lot people who are willing to participate. My ideas so
far are:

- set-up a dedicated web page for promotion material somewhere on kde.org
- provide as much as we can pre-packaged material for articles,
presentations,
  and so on
- try to publish everything under Open Publication License, so that we can
  reuse it later.
- encourage people to just translate available material in their home
language
  and get it published.

Any other ideas ? Comments ?

	Philippe