List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Use new Konqi mascot
From:       Marco Martin <notmart () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-05-31 21:01:25

On Sunday 26 May 2013, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday, May 24, 2013 20:25:13 Sune Vuorela wrote:
> > On 2013-05-21, Maarten De Meyer <de.meyer.maarten@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm not sure where or when we should add it so I'm asking for feedback
> > > here.
> >
> > I *love* the current konqi and it is a well known mascot. I do think
> > that changing it is the wrong thing to do.
>
> btw .. some interesting links to look at:
>
> 	http://designshack.net/articles/graphics/then-and-now-the-evolution-of-cer
> eal-mascots/
>
> 	http://www.mrdaps.com/2010/06/17/the-evolution-of-mickey-mouse/
>
> 	http://magazine.ufl.edu/2012/03/the-evolution-of-albert/
>
> 	http://www.awfuladvertisements.com/2013/march/the-evolution-of-cheetos-mas
> cot-chester-cheetah.html

Yo, stumbling in with just some general considerations ;)

All of those show a clear common pattern..
over the years
- the lines of the drawings become cleaner, not hesitating lines, definitely
more "computer generated" look

- the figures looks less strictly realistic, definitely less and less "human"
(some very old ones nowdays are scary as hell, with this at the bottom of the
horror http://www.designclarksville.com/whaddya-know-michelin-man-evolution/
http://www.designclarksville.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Michelin-Evo1.jpg)

- one key point of them being more and more stylized (there  is more to say
about ongoing stylization of any language especially graphical from a
communication theory standpoint) is that they transition into being just few
basic geometric shapes. almost logo-ified, even tough they remain a very
different thing

- one thing that is still not catched by the above links is something i am
beginning to note... until recent years, you could see more and more of those
things that started to look as 3d rendered meshes (as in blender stuff).
Recently tough the typical 3d look became a bit so last year, a purely 2d look
(if looks very clean) looks more modern.. again

with those considerations I see that the new proposed mascot pretty much fits
perfectly in all of those (even tough i agree too that there are still some
little bugs that can for sure be ironed out).. just instintively i like them a
LOT (congratulations to the author)

- it's definitely more stylized, doesn't try to look like a realistic reptile

- some of the poses more than others are indeed just a couple of geometric
shapes (in the end the idea of having many poses is great, the "better" one
would be used more than the others tough)

- the old blender konqui (and the kde3 3dstudio4 one;) even tough always had
some even serious issues, looked great for the "early 2000's" they were
conceived, but now it still looks "early 2000's" indeed. We don't notice
because the change is always gradual, but try to look with the wayback machine
the website of any famous company, even 5-6 years ago,how dated it looks now
;)

also yes, is true that they look a bit manga, that indeed is a bit stygmatized
(but imo fitting). As seen, some people will definitely not like it, a key
point is a gentle and well done marketing-wise introduction, and resisting the
temptation to ever over-using them.

Cheers,
Marco Martin