List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Use new Konqi mascot
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-05-31 21:29:24

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 11:01:25PM +0200, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Sunday 26 May 2013, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > btw .. some interesting links to look at:
> >
> > 	http://designshack.net/articles/graphics/then-and-now-the-evolution-of-cer
> > eal-mascots/
> >
> > 	http://www.mrdaps.com/2010/06/17/the-evolution-of-mickey-mouse/
> >
> > 	http://magazine.ufl.edu/2012/03/the-evolution-of-albert/
> >
> > 	http://www.awfuladvertisements.com/2013/march/the-evolution-of-cheetos-mas
> > cot-chester-cheetah.html
>
> - the figures looks less strictly realistic, definitely less and less "human"
> (some very old ones nowdays are scary as hell, with this at the bottom of the
> horror http://www.designclarksville.com/whaddya-know-michelin-man-evolution/
> http://www.designclarksville.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Michelin-Evo1.jpg)

it's entirely beyond me how you both can post a bunch of examples for
character evolution, and then imply that this has *any* relevance to the
situation at hand, which is nothing short of a revolution.
to get from the current konqi to this new design you'd need at least
three gradual changes spread over three decades to even remotely match
any of the linked examples.

> - the old blender konqui (and the kde3 3dstudio4 one;) even tough always had
> some even serious issues, looked great for the "early 2000's" they were
> conceived, but now it still looks "early 2000's" indeed.

i call that an implementation detail. no need to throw out the baby with
the bathwater.

> We don't notice because the change is always gradual,

yes, indeed. gradual.