List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Use new Konqi mascot
From:       Eike Hein <eikehein () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-05-24 20:37:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I'm a bit wary of changing the mascot design, too. The angle I am
thinking about is that a mascot is a character, and characters
derive their value from the emotional bond someone has with them,
and such bonds may be injured if there's no continuity in the re-
cognizable identity of a character.

That's e.g. why cartoon shows pay significant attention to making
sure artists draw the characters with a high degree of visual con-
tinuity. I'm sure there are counter examples of when a character
redesign has been adopted successfully by an audience too, but I
think more often or not it causes that pang of "not really the
same anymore" or the feeling that it's not worth investing into a
particular incarnation of the character.

So to me "modernizing Konqui" would be more a question of impro-
ving the rendition of the existing character design to be less
affected by technical limitations of the day - using a better
renderer, improving the materials applied to the mesh, perhaps
small tweaks to the model or its rig to make it more flexible -,
but not swapping it out entirely.

That said taken by itself I think this is a really nicely thought-
out concept, and I dig the little details like the antlers and
stuff, so it would certainly be neat if we could find some place
to use it.

Cheers,
Eike