List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Use new Konqi mascot
From:       Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-05-24 22:54:59

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> wrote:
> On 2013-05-21, Maarten De Meyer <de.meyer.maarten@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure where or when we should add it so I'm asking for feedback
> > here.
>
> I *love* the current konqi and it is a well known mascot. I do think
> that changing it is the wrong thing to do.

Maarten, thanks so much for asking. I absolutely love the new images
of Konqui, and hope we use them many places.

However, I have to agree that using them as in your example is
unprofessional. It's so fun, I hate to say that! Sune has a great
point, though -- we have a well-known mascot, and changing that is a
branding faux-pax. I personally don't like Konqui and never did, but
that's not important.

> We have something well known and we should keep it. And Tomaz can keep
> his giant konqi outfit. And I can keep konqi plush toy who has attended
> several Akademies.
>
> If the mascot start to be a replacable thing, I'm not sure we can get it
> as famous and 'out there'. If it becomes replacable, why would anyone
> start making konqi plush toys? Large konqi outfits? <other merchandise>
> When will the next new mascot come?
>
> This is - more or less - my quick thoughts
>
> /Sune
> - and thanks to Eike for dealing with the uglyness in the thread.

This thread upset me enough to write a blogpost about it:
http://linuxgrandma.blogspot.com/2013/05/catalyst-leadership.html

My hope is that all of us will read the Catalyst page, and step up our
game here. Motivation is what keeps us going, keeps us contributing,
keeps KDE great! Let's not muck that up.

Valorie
--
http://about.me/valoriez