List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] About the Edu-Sprint and Sponsorship in Randa.
From:       Thomas Thym <ungethym () mevin ! net>
Date:       2012-07-09 6:05:33

On Monday 09 July 2012, 00.02:23 Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Thomas Thym <ungethym@mevin.net> wrote:
> > With extrinsic motivation (you get a carrot if you donte) we are
> > destroying
> > intrinsic motivation (to donate to do good or to support a project wich is
> > important for you).
> > More options make it more difficult to deside. A couple of weeks (or
> > perhaps
> > months) I donated for a project with about 100 possibilities, depending on
> > 5
> > or 10 USD stepps (ok, what feeled like 100 was more than 10 or 15 in
> > reality.)
> > A had an amount in mind when I entered the site and was so confused by the
> > options that I left the site to deside. Luckily I came back an donated the
> > amount I was planing. But am not sure until today if I should write an
> > e-mail,
> > that I don't need the carrot.
> >
> > So I would be carefull with offering carrots for donations. But perhaps it
> > is
> > only me thinking this way and it is successful by these projekts.
> >
> > But in general it is a good idea to have a donation option.
> >
> > Thomas
>
> I tend to agree. I don't really understand how it works, but I'm sure that
> as soon as you give something in exchange it becomes more about the
> exchanged thing instead of the sponsorship itself.
>
> I think that if we want to give something back it should be something that
> clearly shows it's not an exchange. Like a post card, or so.
>
> Aleix

Just some background information to the two psychological effects:

1. Crowding out motivation (intrinsic motivation is destroyed by extrinsic
motivation).

"These negative effects of performance-contingent rewards can best be
illustrated by an field experiment of Gneezy and Rustichini (2000). It
analyzes the behavior of school children collecting money voluntarily, i.e.
without monetary compensation (e.g. for cancer research or disabled children).
The children reduced their efforts by about 36 percent when they were promised
a bonus of one percent of the money collected. Their effort to collect for a
good cause could be raised when the bonus was increased from one to 10 percent
of the money collected. But they did not reach the initial collection level
[without bonus] again. This field experiment shows clearly that there are two
countervailing forces affecting behavior: a crowding-out effect of rewards and
an effect of motivating the children extrinsically after the intrinsic
motivation has been decreased."

http://wiki.informatik.unibw-
muenchen.de/confluence/display/interactcomm/Crowding-
Out+of+Intrinsic+Motivation

2. The paradox of choise (more choise leads to better desicions but makes you
unhappy).
More possibilities makes it harder to deside and afterwards you are unhappy
because you are unsure that you really mode the perfect desicion.

There is a brillant TED talk by Barry Schwartz on the paradox of choice
http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice.html

esp. from Minute 07:45

Thomas