List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] About the Edu-Sprint and Sponsorship in Randa.
From:       Aleix Pol <aleixpol () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-07-08 22:02:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Thomas Thym <ungethym@mevin.net> wrote:

> On Saturday 07 July 2012, 07.14:49 Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > On Friday 06 July 2012 22:41:05 Mario Fux wrote:
> > > kickstarter.com is another option.
> >
> > It's only available for US projects, and it only pays money to the
> project,
> > if the goal is reached. So I don't think this is an option for us.
> >
> > > The brochure is on its way. But the translation is a huge amount of
> work.
> > > Will prioritize the pages. And try to spread the work. Keep you
> updated.
> >
> > Great.
> >
> > > What about things like:
> > > - Post card signed by people from Randa
> > > - T-Shirt signed
> > > - Lunch/dinner in Randa
> > > - Big amount of money: We bring you to Randa
> >
> > Good ideas. Is this something we do want to do, giving perks for
> different
> > levels of donations? On one hand it gives some motivation to donate, on
> the
> > other hand it is additional work to set up and maintain. What do you
> think?
>
> With extrinsic motivation (you get a carrot if you donte) we are destroying
> intrinsic motivation (to donate to do good or to support a project wich is
> important for you).
> More options make it more difficult to deside. A couple of weeks (or
> perhaps
> months) I donated for a project with about 100 possibilities, depending on
> 5
> or 10 USD stepps (ok, what feeled like 100 was more than 10 or 15 in
> reality.)
> A had an amount in mind when I entered the site and was so confused by the
> options that I left the site to deside. Luckily I came back an donated the
> amount I was planing. But am not sure until today if I should write an
> e-mail,
> that I don't need the carrot.
>
> So I would be carefull with offering carrots for donations. But perhaps it
> is
> only me thinking this way and it is successful by these projekts.
>
> But in general it is a good idea to have a donation option.
>
> Thomas

I tend to agree. I don't really understand how it works, but I'm sure that
as soon as you give something in exchange it becomes more about the
exchanged thing instead of the sponsorship itself.

I think that if we want to give something back it should be something that
clearly shows it's not an exchange. Like a post card, or so.

Aleix