List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Spark and KDE and Tablet-Projects for Schools in Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony/Germany
From:       Daniel Rohde-Kage <daniel.rohde-kage () tu-dortmund ! de>
Date:       2012-03-05 17:18:43

Moinmoin,

good feeling that things moving a bit.

> My guess is that in this specific context of an educational device the question
> is whether it will be sufficient to recharge the device at home or whether
> schools will need to provide infrastructure to allow recharging of devices
> during the school day.
Yes, that is supposed to be one of the questions, which schools will ask
for. Thanks Kevin!

I 'booked the adventure' to help at the KDE booth on Wednesday and it
would be great to meet you there, guys :-)!

Pretty noone of my workmates knows, why terms of conditions for the
tablet-project in Niedersachsen haven't been published yet. (It is just
a vague and mad supposition to think, Apple need some more time to gain
the strongest position in field...)

But these are some conditions:
* Schools have to have a wireless network in the whole building (so:
either we look for the rare already equipped schools - in Niedersachsen
mainly the notebook-project-schools supported by www.n-21.de/a
cooperation between IT-professionals and administration - or someone
could install/provide both: WLAN and tablets)
* every pupil has to have a tablet ('one-to-one-environment'), while
this is a strong pro for a cheaper KDE-tablet.

My English is pretty poor and writing this is like running uphill all
the time. But my suggestion is to do a professional brainstorming about
such a project - the pros and cons, the chances and the areas, where an
open tablet cannot cope with the mainstream-tablets.
I see clear advantages, and these are far away from just establishing
'the more moral tablet' (openness for the sake of openness) but a
'better tablet', because it fulfills the needs of schools much more.

About data-security of a KDE-tablet in school I'm talking in my blog:
http://oss-schulblog.org/2012/03/02/tablet-pcs-im-unterricht-das-betriebssystem-und-die-datensicherheit/
 A strong pro for an open tablet! And neither Android nor Apple has a
concept for that aspect.

CU
Daniel