List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Spark and KDE and Tablet-Projects for Schools in Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony/Germany
From:       Ulrich Drolshagen <ulrich.drolshagen () bbs1uelzen ! de>
Date:       2012-03-05 18:14:19

Am 05.03.2012 18:18, schrieb Daniel Rohde-Kage:

> But my suggestion is to do a professional brainstorming about such a
> project - the pros and cons, the chances and the areas, where an open
> tablet cannot cope with the mainstream-tablets.
> I see clear advantages, and these are far away from just establishing
> 'the more moral tablet' (openness for the sake of openness) but a
> 'better tablet', because it fulfills the needs of schools much more.

I subscribed to the list just to follow this thread. I am interested in
this topic as I run the IT of the business department of a school for
vocational education in Niedersachsen. AFAIK I am the only one in this
realm running all the desktops with Linux/KDE only.
If you want to have the slightest chance to get even considered for the
deal, you will have to talk to the schoolbook publishers. The most
important of them seem to be  Westermann and Bildungsverlag Eins.  If
you don't get them into your boat forget about the project. If you do,
you will have a deal. The schoolbook publishers are competing with Apple
in this field and seem to be a little bit late. The schools don't care
about the technical basis of their devices, they are required to access
content provided by the publishers through them. If the publishers do
not support your device, it's not for schools. Don't expect them to be
especially fond of open source. Your best bet will be an over all open
platform which provides some hermetically closed cage for their content.

regards

Ulrich