List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] A proposition on dot articles comments
From:       Stuart Jarvis <jarvis () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-02-02 17:34:16

Hey,

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Carl Symons <carlsymons@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Nikolaos Pantazis
> <pantazisnikolaos@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I propose the removal of the ability to add commends in dot articles
> > and the addition of a link to the corresponding kde forum post.
> >
> > People want to talk about kde software. They want to cheer, they want
> > to whine. They just like talking about it. Lets give them the right
> > place to do so.
> >

> I don't think this will accomplish what we want for KDE promotion.
> Some comments definitely belong in the KDE forum. But others clearly
> don't. Some comments are about distro packaging. Some are about links
> that aren't working. It just isn't that big of a deal to read the
> comments via RSS and handle each one appropriately.

Ok, so here is what I think:
- You, Carl, are the most active both on the Dot in general and in
comment moderation
- Therefore, I think - within limits, and don't worry, we'll give
feedback on those... - you should get to choose how the system works,
or at the very least try out things to see if they work

In my reading of the earlier dot-editors thread, I think your
conclusion was to moderate all comments before they appear (I'm not
sure whether you wanted to also disallow anonymous commenting
completely)

If that's right, then I'd be happy for you to go ahead and we can see
how it goes and revisit after some set time (say a month, two months).
What would be needed to make this happen? The technical side in Drupal
is easy, I guess, to queue all comments for approval? Do we need more
people to moderate the comments?

Cheers,
Stu