List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: Join The Game website
From:       Emil Sedgh <emilsedgh () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-01-31 0:16:59

On Do shanbe, Bahman 11, 1389 03:11:53 am Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> That's why we should get rid of most of the fields, which are currently
> there. We really need just three fields, name, email address, and postal
> address.
+1 from me as well. just a few points:
1) Having the country on a different field might help us for example find how
many members do we have in germany or send an email to our italian members.
are we going to need/use such feature? if no, +1 in merging country, town,
city and postal code into a single field.

2)Do we really need to ask them if they want to be mentioned in public? i'd
say we use the 99% rule here. if it works for 99% of users, its good enough.

I think most members dont mind being mentioned in public.

3)Im ok with removing the 'title'. If everyone's ok with that i'll remove it.

> Maybe. I'm still a fan of making a good first impression and making it easy
> to sign up, even if it might feel rewarding for some people to go through
> a complicated signup process. ;-)
>
> > Also, please note that having email address as the first step has the
> > advantage that we make sure the user is a human. So we wont need an ugly
> > CAPTCHA field on the main form. Which is a user-experince disaster.
>
> I don't think we need to identify, if users are human. There is no point in
> spamming us, as you can't put anything on a visible part of the site
> without our approval or valid payment anyway.
Well, spammers dont spam 'us'. Their crawlers are crawling webpages and
posting info to all the forms they can.
Current website isnt being hit because it depends on ajax for registration.
Now that we use simple forms, we'll be hit by spammers.

> > I think we really really need to validate user's email address because:
> > 1) We can make sure that our users will always be able to recover their
> > passwords
>
> That's true, but it's certainly not the most important part of the site. We
> need people to be able to sign up for the program, if they are able to
> login later is of secondary importance, and many might never do it anyway.
>
> > 2) Our main contact tool is email. We dont want to end up sending email
> > to users who may have entered wrong addresses.
>
> That's a good point. We'll need to address this in any case, though, as
> email addresses will become invalid over time, so we always will have some
> addresses, which don't work, and need a method to deal with these.
Maybe we can collect the email on the same form as well. And as the final step,
send their confirmation email?

Here is a proposed workflow:
Step 1: gathering info:
name
last name
password (+confirmation)
email address
postal address
prefered payment method.
payment period (do we need this as well? how many of our members are paying us
quarterly right now?)
captcha

Step 2:finalizing
confirming email
if the user has selected any of the offline payments, a thank you message
(at this point we notify admins through an email)
if user has selected paypal, a question if he wants recurring payments or a
one time payment
redirection to paypal
thank you message