List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: Join The Game website
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-01-30 23:41:53

On Monday 31 January 2011 Emil Sedgh wrote:

> From a usability POV (im not a UX expert, just humble opinion), a big form
> with lots of details (such as ours) will just cause users to run away.

That's why we should get rid of most of the fields, which are currently there.
We really need just three fields, name, email address, and postal address.

> However, if they pass the email confirmation process, they will think 'now
> that im gone as far as this...lets keep going to the end'. At least its
> how it works for me :)

Maybe. I'm still a fan of making a good first impression and making it easy to
sign up, even if it might feel rewarding for some people to go through a
complicated signup process. ;-)

> Also, please note that having email address as the first step has the
> advantage that we make sure the user is a human. So we wont need an ugly
> CAPTCHA field on the main form. Which is a user-experince disaster.

I don't think we need to identify, if users are human. There is no point in
spamming us, as you can't put anything on a visible part of the site without
our approval or valid payment anyway.

> I think we really really need to validate user's email address because:
> 1) We can make sure that our users will always be able to recover their
> passwords

That's true, but it's certainly not the most important part of the site. We
need people to be able to sign up for the program, if they are able to login
later is of secondary importance, and many might never do it anyway.

> 2) Our main contact tool is email. We dont want to end up sending email to
> users who may have entered wrong addresses.

That's a good point. We'll need to address this in any case, though, as email
addresses will become invalid over time, so we always will have some
addresses, which don't work, and need a method to deal with these.

> I dont see why we cant take the password on the form as well? random
> password generation is also a user experience disaster because users are
> too lazy to change their password after login. And next time they want to
> login, they dont know the password. so they'll use password recovery tool
> or end up searching their inbox for the random password.

Sure. Just an idea.