List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE & itsme
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-01 11:18:05

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Vincenzo Di Massa
<vincenzo.dimassa@gmail.com> wrote:
> I CC Nico Sica, our PR person, and Giovanni Martinelli, our
> developement leader, so that KDE-promo has the contacts of the persons
> in the "control room".
>
> Then I CC Michele Tameni our "worst enemy" Gnome fanboy and itsme developer :-)

Hi all!

> Btw, it is not itsme talking to KDE here, it is Vincenzo speaking.
> Only Giovanni and Nico can speak for itsme.
>
> I answer inline ...
>
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> > Maybe it's worth an interview or you
> > guys can host a meeting or something sometime, that's a neath way of
> > getting closer to the KDE community.
>
> Nico, Giovanni: what about a meeting or hosting? Even skype call could
> be a nice start point.

Depending on what and how much you do with KDE technology a story on
the dot might be possible. That's quite a high-profile site with many
other news sites picking it up.

<snip>
> You know the effect that the 4.0 release had on Gtk/Gnome people... we
> are not there anymore, but it still hurts sometimes. (I'm not blaming
> the 4.0 release, but we must admit it gave new energies to so many
> trolls). Maybe talking with KDE people who are good at communicating
> it could emerge how much KDE technologies shine today :-)

Well, the 4.0 release has hurt some users (due to distributions
shipping it despite our discouragement), but since then our developer
force has doubled. For developers the 4.0 release was great - a
framework which is technically ahead of whatever MS and Apple can
throw at us.

> Well, lets me "patch" this part of my previous email: we studied and
> internally documented many KDE technologies (plamsa, akonadi, nepomuk,
> soprano, strigi, -virtuoso-, and others I can't remember right now)...
> we had meetings where everyone else had to listen/learn about those
> pieces of software. Then we decided to start using soprano+sesame2...
> I was involved in the implementation of a basic backend for soprano
> then moved back to GUI stuff.
>
> Look at the following slides (particularly slide 82) for a description
> of what role soprano played
> http://www.slideshare.net/itsmesrl/itsme-lezione-usi-lugano

Interesting.

> Since then we had problems with soprano and a guy in our team started
> experimenting with tracker. He immediately felt better with tracker
> (he is a Gtk/Gnome kind of person :-P), and the whole team was
> convinced that using tracker + DIY (do it yourself) would be better
> than trying to fix soprano (wich because of sesame was really feature
> missing at the time). Since then they migrated Guglielmo (the itsme
> equivalent of nepomuk-kde) and AVFS (will have a new name shortly,
> basically it is a fuse overlay over the RDF storage, sort of like
> KIO::nepomuk) to tracker.

Well, that is unfortunate as it is my understanding from Sebastian
Trueg's website that the new virtuosa backend for Soprano kind'a
solves the problems it has... http://trueg.wordpress.com/

> Our initial Guglielmo code will hopefully be released as open-source
> in a month or so.
>
> So they know what the technologies do, and they tried to use them...
> Where I wrote "our developers not understanding the benefit of the Nepomuk
> integration with the rest of KDE products" please read "our developers
> not evaluating the benefits of the Nepomuk integration with the other
> KDE technologies more than the efforts needed to fix Nepomuk/Soprano".
>
> In my opinion what my team is not "understanding" is that the
> flexibility and the tight integration of KDE technologies is really
> huge compared to the cost of "fixing it when it does not work for your
> needs".

Yes, I guess that's something really worth communicating. It takes a
while to get the infrastructure up and running but once you do you can
get features others spend months on in a couple of hours.

> > Tracker
> > is really not flexible enough for what you want to do, as far as I can
> > tell.
>
> I have the same impression, but I guess that experimenting both
> tracker and soprano is added value to itsme and KDE and Gnome :-)
>
> Maybe we could write a post about the switch  and its reasons.

That would be interesting - if anyone on your team could blog about
that, I can link to it from planet.kde.org. Or even more interesting,
talk about it with Sebastian ;-)

> > How about we get a Nepomuk person to your company to help you
> > guys out?
>
> I would love to meet people from the Nepomuk team (we contacted
> Sebastian Trueg while working on soprano and also submitted some
> patches)

Cool. I guess you contacted developers using IRC or mailinglists or
personal mail? This works best when it comes to getting answers ;-)

Of course when it comes to making decisions on technology there are a
couple of companies in the KDE ecosystem who can help with that. For
example KDAB, BasysKom, KO GmbH and Collabora.

To get down to business:

- I would love to hear a bit more about your usage of KDE
technologies, that might lead to a dot story. We can take it from
there and see if there are more ways to cooperate in the marketing and
promo department.

- I will ask Sebastian Trueg to get in contact with you and see if he
can help out on the Nepomuk things.

- When it comes to technical questions you should really contact the
appropriate developers through IRC, mailinglists etc, if you need help
ask me. For more in-depth consultancy contact one of the KDE
businesses.

Did I miss anything?

Greetings,

Jos Poortvliet