List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE & itsme
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2009-12-01 14:11:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday, 2009-11-30, Vincenzo Di Massa wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@gmail.com>
wrote:

[snip]

> > Tracker
> > is really not flexible enough for what you want to do, as far as I can
> > tell.
>
> I have the same impression, but I guess that experimenting both
> tracker and soprano is added value to itsme and KDE and Gnome :-)
>
> Maybe we could write a post about the switch  and its reasons.

I wouldn't assume anything about Tracker's capabilities since they are quite a
fast moving project.
They've switch to using Nepomuk ontologies and Sparql as the query language,
they use the same library for extracting file metadata (streamanalyiers
originally written for Strigi), they have a D-Bus based client which can
retrieve mail related data from mail user agents supporting that D-Bus API.
etc.

There are probably differences in resource usage, speed, maximum query
complexity, etc. when compared to Nepomuk-KDE, but that would have to be
evaluated in the context of the target scenario in order to see if these
differences have any significance.

The value of Nepomuk-KDE for developers is probably mainly its high-level API
so one doesn't have to build sqarql queries manually, the convenience APIs
like ready to use widgets (e.g. rating widget) and data integration such as
with Akonadi (e.g. allowing queries that find person related contacts,
calendar entries, mails from/to/about, etc).

The last point (data integration) can of course also be achieved with Tracker
provided somebody implements it, so the value right now is that it already has
been implemented for Nepomuk-KDE.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring