List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE & itsme
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-30 13:50:31

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Vincenzo Di Massa
<vincenzo.dimassa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jos,
> In the comments of that post I wrote:
>
> """
> How can we join forces? Can we pursue a win-win objective?
>
> It would be great to hear from KDE people.
>
> Itsme has (great) human resources devoted to communication: maybe just
> helping each oher communicating could help.
> Being alone telling to the world that “the plain, old style, desktop
> metaphor is showing its age”, is not as good as beeing 2 or more.
> Moreover activities/venues can be seen (IMHO) as different
> implmentations of similar concepts).

Sounds interesting, I can't think of a concrete thing we can do but
maybe somebody on the promo list can.

> Of course also sharing lines of code would be great, where/if this can be done.
> """
>
> I'm not expert as a "communicator", so I don't have any hint or
> idea... but I think that the fact that not just KDE is thinking about
> a new "desktop workflow/metaphor" could be a start for more
> "persuasive" communication. Being more than 1 could help creating hype
> and could help giving the impression of a "stronger concept". Prof
> G.De Michelis has studied this subject for years, itsme has spend
> thousand hundreds euros in the study its concept... and KDE-activities
> are really a close relative to itsme-venues. I think it could work as
> a "validation": two independent projects arrived at the same
> conclusion.

Sounds interesting. If we knew a bit more about what your company is
doing and what technology they use it would be even better ;-) Can you
tell us a bit more about that? Maybe it's worth an interview or you
guys can host a meeting or something sometime, that's a neath way of
getting closer to the KDE community.

> I'm just guessing, maybe I'm completely wrong, but I know many
> companies pay millions for "studies" that tell to their customers and
> investors that what they are doing is sound and not completely crazy.
> Sometime they pay lies (ever heard about "Get the facts"? :-P)...
> If the kde-promo team wishes and comes up with an idea, KDE-activities
> (or KDE-plasma-desktop) can have this sort of "validation" :-)
>
> Moreover my team has many Gnome/Gtk lovers. I don't like that
> technology so I hope a stronger link between KDE and itsme could
> improve things.

Sure, absolutely good. What can we do? It's hard for me to think of
ways to help you - you know what you need...

> We just moved from kde-nepomuk to tracker because of  2 reasons:
> A) our developers not understanding the benefit of the Nepomuk
> integration with the rest of KDE products

Wow, that's stupid... "I've ordered a BMW 5 series but it took a week
longer to deliver than a Ford KA so I settled for that"

Do they even know what these technologies are supposed to do? Tracker
is really not flexible enough for what you want to do, as far as I can
tell. How about we get a Nepomuk person to your company to help you
guys out?

> B) many of our developers knows/uses gtk in my team better than Qt
>
> Of course using only KDE technologies in itsme would be great, but
> "joining communication forces" (where it applies) is IMHO more
> important and comes first.

Sure, no problem with that... Just make sure you choose the best technology ;-)