On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Vincenzo Di Massa wrote: > Hi Jos, > In the comments of that post I wrote: > > """ > How can we join forces? Can we pursue a win-win objective? > > It would be great to hear from KDE people. > > Itsme has (great) human resources devoted to communication: maybe just > helping each oher communicating could help. > Being alone telling to the world that “the plain, old style, desktop > metaphor is showing its age”, is not as good as beeing 2 or more. > Moreover activities/venues can be seen (IMHO) as different > implmentations of similar concepts). Sounds interesting, I can't think of a concrete thing we can do but maybe somebody on the promo list can. > Of course also sharing lines of code would be great, where/if this can be done. > """ > > I'm not expert as a "communicator", so I don't have any hint or > idea... but I think that the fact that not just KDE is thinking about > a new "desktop workflow/metaphor" could be a start for more > "persuasive" communication. Being more than 1 could help creating hype > and could help giving the impression of a "stronger concept". Prof > G.De Michelis has studied this subject for years, itsme has spend > thousand hundreds euros in the study its concept... and KDE-activities > are really a close relative to itsme-venues. I think it could work as > a "validation": two independent projects arrived at the same > conclusion. Sounds interesting. If we knew a bit more about what your company is doing and what technology they use it would be even better ;-) Can you tell us a bit more about that? Maybe it's worth an interview or you guys can host a meeting or something sometime, that's a neath way of getting closer to the KDE community. > I'm just guessing, maybe I'm completely wrong, but I know many > companies pay millions for "studies" that tell to their customers and > investors that what they are doing is sound and not completely crazy. > Sometime they pay lies (ever heard about "Get the facts"? :-P)... > If the kde-promo team wishes and comes up with an idea, KDE-activities > (or KDE-plasma-desktop) can have this sort of "validation" :-) > > Moreover my team has many Gnome/Gtk lovers. I don't like that > technology so I hope a stronger link between KDE and itsme could > improve things. Sure, absolutely good. What can we do? It's hard for me to think of ways to help you - you know what you need... > We just moved from kde-nepomuk to tracker because of  2 reasons: > A) our developers not understanding the benefit of the Nepomuk > integration with the rest of KDE products Wow, that's stupid... "I've ordered a BMW 5 series but it took a week longer to deliver than a Ford KA so I settled for that" Do they even know what these technologies are supposed to do? Tracker is really not flexible enough for what you want to do, as far as I can tell. How about we get a Nepomuk person to your company to help you guys out? > B) many of our developers knows/uses gtk in my team better than Qt > > Of course using only KDE technologies in itsme would be great, but > "joining communication forces" (where it applies) is IMHO more > important and comes first. Sure, no problem with that... Just make sure you choose the best technology ;-) > Just my 0.2€ > > Vincenzo > > P.S.: remember to CC me if you reply ;-) > > On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Jos Poortvliet wrote: >> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Vincenzo Di Massa >> wrote: >>> Hi kde-promo list. >>> I'm a kde contributor (small, very small, very very small contributor) >>> and big fanboy ;-) >>> >>> I'm employed in a small company (www.itsme.it), developing a new OS >>> metaphor. I think itsme is having great advantages by the existence of >>> KDE and I could that joining forces could be a win-win. >> >> Oh, I've seen that before, checked out http://itsme.it/project/ a >> while ago. Interesting! We love innovative companies ;-) >> >>> I write to the list for sebas directions ;-) >>> >>> I'm not subscribing to the list, so please CC me if you reply. >> >> Well, I doubt anyone would be against cooperation, the question is >> how. What exactly do you have in mind, how can we help you and how an >> itsme help the KDE community? >> >> greetings, >> >> Jos >> >>> Ciao >>> Vincenzo >>> >>> [11:33] Hi Chani >>> [11:35] Your last blog post is linked on >>> http://itsme.it/news/2009/11/30/activities-in-kde-4-8 ... >>> [11:36] I think kde & itsme could benefit each other (well, >>> itsme already benefits from KDE)... >>> [12:12] vincenzo: if you don't get an answer here, email to kde-promo >>> [12:12] it's quite an active list >>> >>> _______________________________________________ >>> This message is from the kde-promo mailing list. >>> >>> Visit https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-promo to unsubscribe, set digest on or temporarily stop your subscription. >>> >> > _______________________________________________ This message is from the kde-promo mailing list. Visit https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-promo to unsubscribe, set digest on or temporarily stop your subscription.