List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Dot article - KDE on ReactOS
From:       stuart.jarvis () gmail ! com
Date:       2009-08-16 20:18:11

I've shared a document with you:

Dot - KDE on ReactOS
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AXwdjm-WTcHTZGNyNzk1M3BfNmN0eHFxcnRi&hl=en&invite=CPycyqkD

It's not an attachment -- it's stored online at Google Docs. To open this
document, just click the link above.

Hi folks,

There should be a link (above/below?) to a draft dot article on KDE on
ReactOS - see earlier thread on this list. I'm also including the article
below for anyone without google docs access.

Basically, I can't get KDE to run at all on ReactOS, so the article is
pretty short. I found a dedicated website (well, page) at
http://kde-reactos.sourceforge.net/ but it seems very outdated so I don't
see any point linking to it.

I'll have another look at this tomorrow and will submit the article
tomorrow evening (probably around 2000 UTC), with any modifications
received by then, unless anyone asks me not to.

Cheers,
Stu

Article:

While the KDE community busied itself with preparations for the 4.3
release, KDE 4 continued to spread on to new platforms with <a
href="http://www.translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reactos.org%2Fforum \
%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D15%26t%3D7306%26start%3D0%26sid%3D02c2071e861c8886f091462547f255d4&sl=it&tl=en">users \
 reporting</a> (machine translation of <a
href="http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7306&start=0&sid=02c2071e861c8886f091462547f255d4">original \
 Italian) some success in running KDE on<a
href="http://www.reactos.org/">ReactOS</a>.

ReactOS is a free software reimplementation of the Windows XP architecture.
Earlier efforts existed to run KDE 3 on ReactOS (on top of Cygwin) but the
latest successes use native KDE 4 Windows applications as produced by the

ReactOS is still in alpha stage and not recommended for everyday use -
attempting to use the latest KDE Windows installer on ReactOS running in a
virtual machine resulted in a blue screen of death. Nonetheless, this is
yet another platform beginning to gain KDE support and in future could
provide a free software alternative for trying out the Windows versions of
KDE applications. And of course it brings KDE goodness to the ReactOS
desktop.