List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Place to note release highlights from a contributor's
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-11-27 15:59:06

Hi,

[Proposal]
would it be useful for doing the 4.2 promo, including writing release
announcements, if we would add a page
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.2_Feature_Highlights to TechBase
where every developer could add a short description the highlights she/he
thinks have been added for the new release? Or should 4.2_Feature_Goals be
reused for that? But the term "goals" does not reflect the fact "matched" ;)

[Motivation]
E.g. while I am happy to see Okteta mentioned :) in the 4.2 Beta 1 Release
Announcement, the remark "Okteta [...] has significantly improved various
aspects of its user interface." is omitting the real highlight IMHO, the new
row-oriented view (innovation even, perhaps, buzzword, yeah ;) [ORV].

[Proposal, cont.]
Of course it is too much demanded from Sebas (or every other brave man/woman
who writes the announcement) to know everything about each program. So I
guess it would help if every developer tries to deliver some raw phrases
about his/her highlights, consumable by a general public. Adding this to
4.2_Feature_Plan might be a overkill for this site, so let's make it a
different page, no?

[Action?]
So, should I add that page 4.2_Feature_Highlights and make a call to everyone
to add to that page?

[Comments?]
Which style should that phrases have? Like in the listing in the Beta 1
announcement? Should links to related blog entries be included? And notes
what to do for a matching screenshot?
What would be helpful for you, Sebas, and every other you on this list :) ?

[ORV] http://frinring.wordpress.com/2008/11/06/okteta-making-change-possible/

Cheers
Friedrich
--