List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Place to note release highlights from a
From:       Sebastian =?iso-8859-1?q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-11-27 18:52:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 27 November 2008 16:59:06 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> [Proposal]
> would it be useful for doing the 4.2 promo, including writing release
> announcements, if we would add a page
> http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.2_Feature_Highlights to TechBase
> where every developer could add a short description the highlights she/he
> thinks have been added for the new release? Or should 4.2_Feature_Goals be
> reused for that? But the term "goals" does not reflect the fact "matched"
> ;)

There's a WIP page called Changelog, should be human readable (as opposed to
developer's own notes), but unfinished. Read on though.

> [Motivation]
> E.g. while I am happy to see Okteta mentioned :) in the 4.2 Beta 1 Release
> Announcement, the remark "Okteta [...] has significantly improved various
> aspects of its user interface." is omitting the real highlight IMHO, the
> new row-oriented view (innovation even, perhaps, buzzword, yeah ;) [ORV].

I've looked at the Okteta changes, but didn't see it standing out, it wasn't
quite clear from the feature plan, anyways. You can always send me a
screenshot and description, in fact, that would make my life easier. (Stick to
default style, default wallpaper and en_US when doing screenshots though.

> [Proposal, cont.]
> Of course it is too much demanded from Sebas (or every other brave
> man/woman who writes the announcement) to know everything about each
> program. So I guess it would help if every developer tries to deliver some
> raw phrases about his/her highlights, consumable by a general public.
> Adding this to 4.2_Feature_Plan might be a overkill for this site, so let's
> make it a different page, no?

That would make it a different page that is also not updated well, and would
probably make the current feature plan even less visible, so that's also
updated less. End result would be that I have yet another place to strawl for
features.

Really, the best thing to do is note it in teh feature plan, the better the
description in the feature plan, the easier it is for me, and the better the
release notes turn out. Perfect would be a link in the feature plan to a blog
explaining the feature.

Not another page, please.

> [Action?]
> So, should I add that page 4.2_Feature_Highlights and make a call to
> everyone to add to that page?

No. I'm already working on a distilled version of the feature plan, it's up in
a super secret (totally obvious, see above) location on techbase, I'm planning
to run it past the release team (which would be the perfect opportunity to
point out / fix shortcomings). it hasn't happened before simply because lack
of time, expect it in the coming days.

> [Comments?]
> Which style should that phrases have? Like in the listing in the Beta 1
> announcement? Should links to related blog entries be included? And notes
> what to do for a matching screenshot?
> What would be helpful for you, Sebas, and every other you on this list :) ?

Helpful for me would be (general comments):

- up to date feature plan
- clear explanation of features
- possibly link to some page explaining it
- up to date feature plan
- up to date feature plan

(yeah, 3 times on purpose! :>)
> [ORV]
> http://frinring.wordpress.com/2008/11/06/okteta-making-change-possible/

yeah, that one essentially. The clearer the advantage to the user, the better.
:>

Thanks for thinking about my poor self. :)
--
sebas