List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] reflexions about my experience with KDE as commercial
From:       Agustín_Benito_Bethencourt <direccion () ejerciciosresueltos ! com
Date:       2008-11-27 11:55:15

Hi,

as some of you know, I've been working in migration and big deployments of
free desktops for some years. I want to share this.

Many M$ users are beginning to get in touch with GNU/Linux distros (lots of
them in the south of spain). When you ask them what are the using the usually
answer things like Linux, Guadalinex, linex, suse, mEDUXa, etc. They answer
with the name of the local distro, the commercial or community distro name or
the more general "linux" word. They never answer GNOME or KDE.

Most of the people haven't get in touch with one linux desktop so only very
few have got in touch with both KDE and GNOME or more than one distro. For
them, like it happens with windows, there is no issue about wich desktop do
they use. There is no layer concept when talking about the software they use.
They think of it as a monolitic thing. When you ask them about GNOME or KDE,
they don't know what that is.

If we imagine that picture in the future with this idea in mind, the promotion
of KDE among users directly will take a lot of effort. Even if we invest
some, distros have much more energy to "sell their mark", ignoring KDE one.
From a marketing point of view this make sense for them. It is much easier to
promote only one concept, their name. Right now we are focused on spreading
KDE beating propietary software, so probably it is too early for worrying
about these issues. But I'm living that promoting free software is not enough
for KDE to be recogniced as a desktop solution.

The point is what can we do in order to promote KDE among users, if we want to
do this directly, or how can we promote that distros and others help us to
spread the "KDE mark". Well, maybe we don't even want to do this so we can
concentrate our efforts in getting well known among developers.

I don't have the answers. In fact, I don't even have all the questions but I
wanted to tell you something I think it is happening where I work (the south
of spain), one of the places in the world with more linux (desktop)
penetration among M$ users, specially among young users.

saludos
--
Agustín Benito Bethencourt
Director de Ejerccios Resueltos SLU