List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE 4.1
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2008-08-03 19:05:24

On Sunday 03 August 2008 20:28:14 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> a "KDE In Action" web page (doesn't need to be a whole website =) with a
> really nice, professional ("enterprisey") look to it with case studies
> published on a regular basis (e.g. one every 2 or 4 weeks) showcasing KDE's
> biggest and best deployments out there. with an RSS feed on it so people
> can track it, coverage on theDot and a splash (once a few of the case
> studies are up) to the media list, it should help raise awareness.
>
> the idea would be to dispell myth by casting hard light on the issue. "KDE
> isn't popular with the enterprise? then what's all this about then?"
>
> we can note such successful deployments as those in Brazil, the Canaries,
> the French Parliament, the Tax Authority of Lower Saxony, perhaps Pizza Hut
> (would need to ask for permission on that) etc...
>
> this would be something 1-2 people could do, but it would take a longish
> term commitment and consistency would be the key here. it would make a
> great highly-focussed project for a marketeer to take on.
>
> thoughts?

I agree with everything above, and it fits my own experience exactly. As most
of you know by now, I work in a company that helps our customers use Linux
through thin client technology. Of appr. 30 customers, totalling at least
40,000 users, *one* chose GNOME instead of KDE.

Main reasons:
 - They knew KDE already and wanted it.
 - Kiosktool (Note: this *has to* be ready for 4.2)
 - I / We recommended it. :-)

So, if such a web page sees the light, talk to me and I'll give you some great
examples.

	-Inge