List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE 4.1
From:       "Mark Kretschmann" <kretschmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-08-03 19:47:56

On 8/3/08, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 03 August 2008, Wade Olson wrote:
> it does show one thing we need to work on:
>
> "But GNOME is more popular with enterprises and has a lead in adoption there,"
>
> this is pretty much 100% bullshit. the term "enterprise" is far too ill defined
> to really take it to the mat, but kde is the current Free Software leader when
> it comes to realy, actual deployments.
>
> this "more popular with enterprises" crap comes from Novell, Red Hat and more
> distantly Sun promoting it as such. this despite significant numbers of their
> own clientelle choosing KDE over the recommended GNOME.
>
> i really wish GNOME no harm in this, but it would be good to find a way to
> combat this public misperception about KDE not being popular with enterprise
> (which equates to "serious usership")
>
> this would likely require a campaign of information stretching over 6-12
> months of time with regular updates. it might look something like:
>
> a "KDE In Action" web page (doesn't need to be a whole website =) with a
> really nice, professional ("enterprisey") look to it with case studies
> published on a regular basis (e.g. one every 2 or 4 weeks) showcasing KDE's
> biggest and best deployments out there. with an RSS feed on it so people can
> track it, coverage on theDot and a splash (once a few of the case studies are
> up) to the media list, it should help raise awareness.
>
> the idea would be to dispell myth by casting hard light on the issue. "KDE
> isn't popular with the enterprise? then what's all this about then?"
>
> we can note such successful deployments as those in Brazil, the Canaries, the
> French Parliament, the Tax Authority of Lower Saxony, perhaps Pizza Hut (would
> need to ask for permission on that) etc...
>
> this would be something 1-2 people could do, but it would take a longish term
> commitment and consistency would be the key here. it would make a great
> highly-focussed project for a marketeer to take on.

I also agree that this is an excellent idea. The FUD about Gnome being
more suitable for business is really common, and we should (and can)
counter it.

I would especially stress KDE's strong cross platform support here.
While there certainly are some Gnome applications that can run on
Windows today, from what I hear the results are less than pleasing,
with bad integration and horrible looks.

On the other hand KDE is in the perfect position here to fill this
gap, as KDE applications (thanks to Qt) will look and feel absolutely
native on Windows and MacOS, and there is not even any active
"porting" required to achieve this. The cross platformness comes as a
free gift to us, it's simply there without substantial changes to our
Linux codebase.

This is certainly a big advantage for businesses: "Code once, run everywhere."

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer