List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] About KDE
From:       Jeff Mitchell <kde-dev () emailgoeshere ! com>
Date:       2007-12-12 15:46:36

Sebastian Kuegler wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 December 2007 10:09:40 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > > Right, but this isn't "About KDE 4", it's "About KDE".
> > Indeed. So the text from the akademy 2008 promo folder might be useful:
> >

> > KDE is the leading Desktop Environment of the Free and Open Source Software
> > world. It offers a powerful and easy to use desktop for users and a
> > robust and comprehensive
> > infrastructure for developing applications. KDE abstracts away the
> > complexity of the underlying platform from both users and developers, using
> > the latest advances in framework technology, positioning KDE in direct
> > competition with popular
> > proprietary development platforms.
> >
> > For more than ten years KDE has thrived and created a vibrant
> > community of software
> > developers, translators, artists, usability experts and committed
> > users, a community
> > that continually proves that Free Software can be of world-class quality.
> > Enjoying a market share on the free desktop of over 60%, KDE is the major
> > choice for government, business and users alike.
> >
> > Recent successes include a roll-out to the Munich government soon to
> > reach 18,000
> > desktop users; a scheme by the Brazilian government to sell low cost
> > computers means hundreds of thousands of new KDE desktops being sold each
> > month. Our technology is also used in third party projects including
> > Apple's
> > Safari web browser
> > and Nokia's Series 60 mobile phones. New exciting projects, like the
> > Greenphone, are already on the way. During the last 2 years, the KDE
> > community has worked on the fourth generation of the KDE desktop and
> > developer platform,
> > laying the foundations
> > for the future of the Free Desktop.
> > =============
> >

> > Imho a rather nice story ;-)
>
> That doesn't address the 'we're not only a DE', which is a rather important
> point of Aaron's suggestion to change. It's also, IMO, not enough high-level
> for putting it below all our press releases.
I have to agree with Sebas here, it's quite long and too technical for
many uses, including the upcoming press release.  Read this sentence
again:  "KDE abstracts away the complexity of the underlying platform
from both users and developers, using the latest advances in framework
technology."

The paragraph Aaron and I quickly hacked together will have to do as
it's too late to change it for the upcoming press release, but I
actually think that the problems with it are mostly niggling.  For the
uninformed users, it conveys that KDE is free, open source, and has tons
of applications in all categories to offer -- plus it'll run on their
Windows Boot Camp partition of their brand new Mac, just like it runs on
Cousin Timmy's Linixwhatchamajig.  People that already know much about
KDE won't be reading it anyways.

--Jeff