List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] About KDE
From:       Sebastian Kuegler <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-12-12 10:53:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 12 December 2007 01:48:14 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> read this and weep along with me:

_Thanks_ for bringing it up and coming up with something rather useful. Every
single time I read it, I cringe.

> "About KDE
>
> KDE, or the K Desktop Environment, is a network transparent contemporary
> desktop environment for Linux and UNIX workstations. KDE seeks to fulfill
> the need for an easy-to-use desktop for Linux and UNIX workstations,
> similar to desktop environments found on Macintosh and Microsoft Windows
> operating systems.  KDE 4.0 will make use of Qt's cross-platform
> capabilities to bring many of its applications to Windows and Mac OS X."
>
> observations:
>
> - most of our target audience will not know what "network transparent ..
> desktop environment" means. it's also not such a distinguishing feature to
> be promoted as if it is the essence of our USP?
>
> - we're not a desktop environment. the DE is one of our products
> (kdebase/workspace i suppose =). but we have many other products as well,
> and the portability to other platforms puts the nail in that coffin. note
> that our instistence on refering to ourselves as a DE has put us in some
> hot water with projects such as KOffice and Amarok when it comes to their
> marketing, as it is far to constraining. this means we stand to lose
> marketing synergies[1] and have projects spin away from KDE as a project
> (something KOffice team seriously talked about last year, in fact)
>
> - it's a bit boring.
>
> for an upcoming press release we rejigged this a bit to read (at least in
> the current draft):
>
> "KDE is an international technology team that creates integrated Free/Open
> Source Software for desktop and portable computing. Among KDE's products
> are a modern desktop system for Linux and UNIX platforms, comprehensive
> office productivity and groupware suites and hundreds of software titles in
> many categories including Internet and web applications, multimedia,
> entertainment, educational, graphics and software development.

KDE software is translated into more than 60 languages and built with ease of
use and built op top of modern usability principles.

> Building on
> the cross-platform capabilities of Trolltech®'s Qt®, KDE4's full-featured
> applications run natively on Linux, BSD, Solaris, Windows and Mac OS X."

Can we already name Solaris, Windows and OSX? (Those ports are probably not
ready by January, 11?

> still not awesome, though, imho. though hopefully an improvement (i had a
> hand in writing some of that paragraph, along with ferai, so i'm allowed to
> diss it all i want ;)
>
> but we need to get this straight for re-use in future communications. it
> should reflect kde4's amibitions and realities.
>
> what points should we nail home by mentioning it in the above?
>
> - internationalization?
> - usability?

See above suggestion for addition.

> - specific features / frameworks?

Not sure how to deal with specific frameworks, maybe we keep some place we use
for pointing at those specific features ... but then that's unusual for this
kind of blurb and we will tend to forget to add it ...

> let's try and collaborate on this to get our best image forward .... =)

I'm || this close to commit it as new about_kde.inc (which I factored out some
time ago on our websites for easier reuse, and easier changing of the
current, hideous way of 'about us'.
--
sebas