List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Beta 2 announcement
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jos () mijnkamer ! nl>
Date:       2007-09-04 13:20:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

[Attachment #4 (text/plain)]

On 9/4/07, Wade Olson <wade@corefunction.com> wrote:

> On 9/3/07, Steve Tose <stevetose@gmail.com> wrote:
> > INFO PAGE
> > Question: codename is really "Duth"? Just checking...
>
> Yeah, as Gaffney pointed out, the title could either have no
> punctuation, a semi-colon, colon, or comma for:
>
> KDE Project Ships Second Beta Release for Leading Free Software
> Desktop, Codename "Duth"
>
> Also, please remember to change the date to be accurate.
>
> > Also, before I get started I'd like to point out that it seems like
> > you switch between American and English spellings using
> > 'visualisation', but then 'stabilize'. Either is correct and I felt I
> > was nitpicking as either s or z is fine. I didn't change this in the
> > text.
> > I used !!!<>!!! around corrections hoping this would improve their
> visibility.
> > "...
> > Architectural
> >
> > Long time KDE developer Daniel M. Duley (aka. Mosfet) joined us again.
> > He developed Blitz, a graphics !!!<LIBRARIES>!!! designed to fill the
> > gap for the KDE libraries !!!<WHILE>!!! we wait for Zack Russin's
> > Quasar. He introduced himself and his work (again) in this Commit
> > Digest. And it is not just Blitz which is on his mind, he is working
> > hard to introduce some great performing yet easy to use graphical
> > tricks for the KDE developers.
>
> Do we have a link to Quasar?

Not as far as I know. I've looked, but you know... Quasars and geeks... too
many links :D

> > Another basic component of the KDE libraries also received some
> > attention. Mickael Marchand !!!<SPENT>!!! some time on Kconfig, the
> > Configuration system for KDE. When committed, his work will make it
> > possible to support several backends for the KDE configuration,
> > including SQL.
> >
> > Meanwhile, several developers threw themselves at the better support
> > for BSD and Sun in KDE!!!<PERIOD>!!! Strigi now has XSESAM support and
> > Marcus continued to work on the Avogadro 3D molecule visualisation
> > library and !!!<ITS>!!! integration in Kalzium. Chemical data is in
> > good hands on the KDE desktop these days, seeing how !!!<STRIGI
> > ALSO>!!! received support for chemical files.
> >
> > Sebastian Pipping !!!<SPENT>!!! a lot of time on Kate, KDE's advanced
> > text editor (or lightweight Development Environment). He improved the
> > way search works in Kate, both making it more powerfull and easier to
> > use. Now the component used in Kate to edit text happens to be used
> > throughout KDE for pretty much every text input widget you see, thus
> > applications like Kwrite but also Konqueror will profit from this!
> > Applications
> >
> >  The applications got a lot of love. For example, Kolourpaint got many
> > features merged. Not only usability work and new effects but the
> > application got a lot more robust. Better handling of text, improved
> > scanning support and session management are just a few things that
> > have been improved in this easy to use image editor. Our old and
> > trusted KGPG got some love, in the usability area but also concerning
> > features. And Okular received further usability work. Amarok saw
> > integration with plasma, where plasma will provide the infrastructure
> > for the now much more central Context View. Imagine the ability to
> > drag'n'drop items from the context view on the desktop or !!!<TO AND
> > FROM>!!! the panels on the side of the screen !!!<REMOVED 'AND
> > BACK'>!!!
>
> "Got some love" being used to liberally throughout?  Is this a Seigo
> Slumber Party? (tm)

Yep. We all love him, and as such, the term love is used throughout KDE. Now
I think of it, I think the crash dialog should be rewritten to make use of
the word 'love' more. You're in a bad mood, after all, when apps crash, and
we should do whatever we can to help ease that pain!